Home Maintenance MattersApril 18, 2021
Unique features of South Florida properties
As your home or condo search in Fort Lauderdale gets underway, you may notice certain features in the listings that are unique to South Florida. Do not overlook them. If a property you are interested in includes these features, be sure to do your homework and ask more questions about their condition.
Impact-resistant glass for windows and sliding doors
We take hurricane and severe weather preparations seriously in South Florida. Condos and homes with impact-resistant glass provide peace of mind for your safety and security.
Impact glass provides a shatter-resistant barrier to high winds, flying debris, and increased atmospheric pressure. Should the glass break, there’s a layer of film on either side of the pane, effectively holding the glass inside. The additional benefits include energy efficiency, increased security, increased equity in your home, and lower insurance premiums.
Time-saving, convenient, and a tremendous property value-add, docks are a key feature of Fort Lauderdale’s most sought-after waterfront properties. In the Venice of America, estates and condos can include private dockage. When you are the owner, you need to ensure the dock remains safe and sturdy.
Primary maintenance includes:
- Cleaning thoroughly and routinely.
- Sealing/re-sealing every five years (if it’s not painted).
- Regularly inspecting for loose or rotting boards, exposed nails or screws , and other structural features including the ladder.
- Making sure protective side padding is doing its job
- Ensuring safety equipment, like a life ring, are in good condition.
Mosquitoes are one of the dominant insects of Florida. However, our lines of defense are strong, thanks to the effective ways South Floridians attack the problem, including:
- Regularly inspecting for water accumulation that supports mosquito development.
- Reducing or eliminating unnecessary water sources on the property.
- Landscaping with natural repellants like lavender, rosemary, and marigolds.
- Installing mosquito misters. A home that includes this system will have units installed in specific areas of the yard. At predetermined times, the misting system releases product into the air to kill mosquitoes and prevent them from breeding.
If you have questions about these features, we have answers. If you need specific service providers for maintenance and upkeep, we are ready with local recommendations.
Our goal is to provide extraordinary access to the exceptional South Florida tropical lifestyle.
The Barkin-Gilman Group is ready to exceed your expectations. Contact us today to get started.